We loved catching up with this yoga goddess after her travels to Bali. Meet Allaya below and read her full interview to find our what is lighting up her vision board this year, what shows she is binge watching and what she wants people to say about her at her 75th birthday party. This is one goddess you need to know. Keep scrolling!
Mersur caught up with Allaya upon return from Bali where she was teaching yoga and doing an impromptu photo shoot with her photographer husband!
1. Bikini or One-Piece? Ooh, I love bikinis—they’re super cute and perfect for the beach. But I’m starting to cultivate a collection of flattering one-pieces now that I’m taking my daughter to swim class.
2. Mini or Maxi? Maxi all the way! It’s effortless and elegant. Name me one place that you can’t wear a maxi dress!!! And nothing beats getting dressed in two seconds.
3. Beach or Poolside? I love the beach, especially at night. There’s nothing more soothing than looking out at the horizon and the sky above. Plus, I love all the things you can do on the beach—paddle boarding, snorkeling, kayaking or just lounging on the sand.
4. Snail Mail or Text Message? Text messages. I used to love mail, but now it just piles up all over my house.
5. Sunrise or Sunset? Sunrise. I’m a morning person, and being awake for the sunrise makes me feel like I’m making the most of my day.
6. What do you love to do for fun? I love to read and my husband and I are always binge-watching some new show—the more interesting the storyline, the better! I also love to sing and dance with my three-year-old. When I need to relax, you can always find me on my yoga mat.
7. I’ll bet you love to travel. What destinations are lighting up your vision board this year? I just came back from Bali, which I absolutely loved. Ubud has got to be one of the best places in the world! In the next year, I’m hoping to visit the Mediterranean, Taiwan, the Maldives and maybe pop over to New Orleans just to pig out.
8. What is your favorite beach destination? Thailand! Of all the places I’ve visited so far, the islands off Phuket are the prettiest beaches I’ve seen. If I wanted to take an extended trip, I’d hit the beach resorts in Koh Samui.
9. If you could take a course in something (without having to be good at it) what would you like to learn? So many things! I’d like to learn to do impressions and accents. I think I’d also like to learn magic tricks, how to sew, and how to do basic auto repairs.
10. What do you want to be said about you at your 75th birthday party? I want people to say that I’ve led an interesting life, been a positive influence on the people around me, and that I was true to myself and what I believed in. I want to be a phenomenal and supportive mother, successful in my career, and the happiest person I can be.
11. What is your personal mantra right now? I tend to try to do everything for everyone, and I struggle to prioritize my own self care. So when I have the urge to do something for someone that would be draining for me, I remind myself of something a friend told me recently. She said “You can be a good friend without having to be the best friend.” It helps to remind me that I can be supportive without being a martyr.
12. What's your favorite guilty or not so guilty pleasure? Bananas and double chocolate chip Haagen Das while streaming my latest TV obsession (currently Crazy Ex-Girlfriend).
13. What's a must have in your carry-on bag? Socks, snacks, and a bunch of new books on my Kindle app. I also always keep a change of clothes in case of delays.
14. If you received a gift from a secret admirer, what would you love to receive? Chocolate-covered strawberries from Godiva and a pair of Tieks ballet flats.
15. What do you love about wearing your new mersur? I absolutely love the fabrics. They’re weightless, super soft, and perfect for travel. The creases from my suitcase blew right out of my dress as soon as I stepped on deck, like it was just waiting for a sea breeze.
I want people to say that I've led an interesting life, been a positive influence on the people around me and that I was true to myself and what I believed in. Allaya Cooks-Campbell